Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. Each week we talk about our top ten with a different topic provided by Jana. This week’s topic is top ten – back to school/learning freebie. So for this, I’m going to choose my top ten favorite books that take place in or at a school. In no specific order here’s my top ten for this week.
1. Looking for Alaska by John Green – A book that kickstarted my secret desire to go to a boarding school or live in a dorm of some sort (something I never got to do.) Even though this book 1000% broke my heart into a million pieces, I loved the unique experience these characters had living away from their parents, making friends and the adventures.
2. The Seven Realms & The Shattered Realms series by Cinda Williams Chima – Oden’s Ford, the school in these two series was a really interesting one. It trained everyone from all of the realms, warriors, wizards, and healers alike, regardless of the war going on around them. It’s a place of peace and learning in a tumultuous time.
3. The Glittering Court by Richelle Mead – Featuring a school that trains girls how to be upper-class ladies so that they may find husbands and work on developing the new world into a proper society.
4. Truly Devious by Maureen Johnson – Another boarding school adventure. But this one is a murder mystery. Everything about this school intrigued me. They give their students the freedom to study what they want, for no cost at all.
5. The Secret of Spellshadow Manor by Bella Forrest – This was a fantastic series that featured several different schools. Not always good at teaching their students and some of them were pretty twisted, but it made for a really good story.
6. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowling – Am I even a real bookworm if I don’t have this book/series on this list?
7. Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead – Good old St. Vlad’s.
8. Love Letters to the Dead by Ava Dellaira – This heartfelt story follows Laurel through her first year of high school where she’s trying to figure out who she is without her sister and what her place in this seemingly foreign world. I love this book very much.
9. Evernight by Claudia Gray – I’m putting this in here for a throwback. An oldie, but goodie. Evernight Academy was such a creative idea, a place for vampires to figure out how to really blend in with the rest of the world. I still think, years after reading this series, which was a great twist on the vampire craze.
10. First Year by Rachel E. Carter – With a choice of working a trade or attempting to earn an apprenticeship as a soldier, mage or knight Ryiah always dreamed of becoming a mage. This series follows her through her incredible journey during her schooling.
Here’s my top ten for this week’s school-related freebie topic. What books do you think I should have included in my list? Let me know your top ten in the comments!
Keep on reading lovelies, Amanda.
Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme now hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl. Each week we’re given a new prompt for a top ten list of all things bookish. This week is top ten series I gave up on or do not plan to finish. This is mostly going to be series I gave up on but would probably revisit eventually because I don’t have a ton that I’d refuse to read again.
- Outlander by Diana Gabaldon– I read the first book and liked it but as soon as I found out the main characters are apart for 20 years between the first and second books, I refused to read further.
- The House of Night Series by P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast– This is one I’d absolutely be happy to reread eventually. It just felt like the series was being dragged out so much that I completely lost interest in waiting for the new books to be published.
- The Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich– This is one that Amanda continuously pushed on me. I read a few and, while I really did enjoy them, I never loved them quite enough to read the entire twenty-five book series.
- The Covenant series by Jennifer L. Armentrout– I love her books and really liked the start of this series but for some reason couldn’t get past the second book when I first got them a few years ago. I’d like to actually get through this series finally.
- The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare– I loved these books but couldn’t make myself finish the last two. There was just so much happening and it felt like it went in a direction that I thought was unnecessary. I’ve always kind of thought this series should have stopped after the first three books.
- The Argeneau series by Lynsay Sands– This one I absolutely still plan on picking up again. There’s just so many books that I got a little sick of it for awhile. She’s currently working on book 29 and I stopped somewhere around 16.
- The Halo series by Alexandra Adornetto-I liked the first book and Amanda loved the rest of the trilogy; I just never liked it enough to take the time to read the other two books.
- The Vampire Diaries by L.J. Smith– This is another one that I felt dragged on too long. I always thought the original series was perfect until more books were added on and they brought in ghost writers and all that nonsense.
- Evernight by Claudia Gray– This is another series that Amanda loved but I couldn’t get into despite liking the first book.
- A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin– I tried reading the first book. I tried starting from where I’d left off in the show. I absolutely could not get into these books and do not plan on trying again.
Well these are y top ten for this week. I’d love to see your own list. Thanks for reading.
Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly post giving our top ten on different topic. This is hosted by THE BROKE AND THE BOOKISH. This weeks topic is Top Ten All Time Favorite Books in Genre X. I thought this was a really interesting topic and I really had to think about which genre to pick. The genre I came up with isn’t technically a genre, but I’ve decided that I’m using it anyway. I’ve decided on my top ten all time favorite vampire books. Here’s what I came up with:
1)Twilight by Stephenie Meyer– The fifteen year old reader in me is putting this on my list. This was the book that started my love of paranormal books. I have great memories enjoying the pages of this saga.
2)Bloodlines by Richelle Mead– If you’ve read any of these books you know why this is on my list. I’m obsessed with this series and I can’t wait for the next to come out.
3)The Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead– Vampire Academy came in a very close second to Bloodlines. I love both stories.
4)Evernight by Claudia Gray– This is another addition from fifteen year old me. I got really attached to this series when I was younger.
5)The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa– I just love anything Kagawa writes. I love the Blood of Eden series. I’m also beyond excited for The Forever Song to come out this April.
6)A Quick Bite by Lynsay Sands– Really of the Argeneau novels are included with this. They’re on the more trashy romance novel side, but hey who doesn’t love a good romance novel every now and then.
7)Shadow Falls Series by C.C. Hunter– Shadow Falls has more than just vampires, but I wanted it on this list because I loved reading the Shadow Falls series. I flew through the books, loving every page.
8)The Circle Trilogy by Nora Roberts– These also have more than just vampires but these books were exciting and fun and crazy.
9)Blue Bloods by Melissa De La Cruz– Cruz put an interesting and unique twist in her vampire series. I put off reading the series for quite a while because I knew I needed to read them all together.
10)The House of Night Series by P.C. and Kristen Cast– I wasn’t a huge fan of this series toward the end. The last one is coming out this year and I might give them a try again.
These are my top ten all time favorite vampire books. What are yours?
Keep on reading lovelys, Amanda.